Multiplayer game modes in the Advance Wars series are divided into a number of different categories. These include Versus Mode, which takes place on a single game cartridge/card, or Link Play, which involves a Wireless Connection in Advance Wars: Dual Strike and Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, or a GBA Link Cable in Advance Wars and Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising.
Players can compete against the game's Artificial Intelligence or against another person.
The rules of engagement are fully customizable, and feature a variety of options, including Fog of War, Starting Funds, the amount of Funds gained per Property captured, etc.
The limitless possibilities of Multiplayer give the Advance Wars series a great amount of replay value!
 Difference Between Modes
In Versus Mode, only one system gets used, be it a Game Boy Advance or Nintendo DS. One player will take their turn, then pass the system to the next person after their turn, which continues until there is a winner.
In Link Mode, which only applies to Advance Wars and Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising, up to four Players are utilized, either on one Game Cartridge or with everyone having their own Cartridge. This mode doesn't work in the Wii U Virtual Console version of Advance Wars.
This mode was replaced by Wireless Mode in Advance Wars: Dual Strike and Advance Wars: Days of Ruin. On Wireless mode, two to eight players can play a match locally in Dual Strike due to Tag Battles being common, but two to four players in a local match in Days of Ruin. While Online Multiplayer was possible in Days of Ruin, the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service was discontinued as of May 21, 2014, bringing an end to this game-specific mode.
 Customizable Options
The Customizable Options can be changed in any game mode except for matches on the now-defunct Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection against random individuals, which picked a Random map from the selection of Maps, and set the Weather to "Random."
Those options are as follows:
- Fog of War: By switching this option to "ON," then the battle will take place in Fog of War.
- Weather: This is the weather setting for the battle, which can be changed to Snow, Rain, Random or, from Dual Strike onward, Sandstorm. If you don't want the battle to take place in inclement conditions, you can set the weather to "Clear."
- Funds: This sets the number of Funds that are received per Allied base.
- Turns: This option sets the number of turns that a battle will take, with a minimum of 5 should this option be activated. For no Turn limit, set this to OFF.
- Capture: Changing this Option will set the number of Properties needed to be captured to win the battle if it is activated.
- Power: This option determines whether CO Powers will come into play or not. By switching to OFF, CO Powers won't come into play.
- Visuals: This toggles the visuals that a battle will use.
- Type A: This shows both Battle and Capture Animations
- Type B: This shows only the Battle Animations
- Type C: This shows Battle Animations for Players Only
- OFF: This disables Animations. However, even if Animations are disabled a Capture Animation can still play for Capturing an enemy's HQ
Related ThreadsIf R&C3 was going to have multiplayer broadband play? - last post by @ Oct 19, 2003
Multiplayer/Online thread! - last post by @ Feb 22, 2005
Multiplayer wishlist - last post by @ Aug 19, 2005
how to start multiplayer on psp 101 - last post by @ Jun 21, 2008
Why not multiplayer? - last post by @ Feb 9, 2008
This page has been accessed 15 times.